ABOUT VALERY NECHAY LAW
The Law Office of Valery Nechay is a full service criminal defense law firm.
The Law Office of Valery Nechay is a full service law firm located in San Francisco and serving the nine bay area counties. My practice areas include criminal defense, civil rights litigation, and cannabis law.
I provide aggressive and sophisticated representation to people under criminal investigation, charged with a crime, or those whose civil rights have been violated. My primary goal is to have all charges against my clients dismissed and vindicate their rights.
I treat each client as I would expect to be treated—in a professional, confidential, and empathetic manner. As a native of San Francisco, I have an intimate knowledge of the local court rules, an ongoing relationship with key players, and an excellent reputation for my honest character, tenacity and dedication to my craft. If you are under investigation or charged with a crime, I will consult with you at no charge to you. In this consultation I will explain your rights and options.
A criminal case requires a thorough defense investigation. Many lawyers rely too heavily on police reports which are often wrong and based on lies. I spend the extra time to investigate the case, interview witnesses myself and to personally locate all relevant defense evidence.
Juris Doctor, May 2016
Thesis: The Cost of Freedom: An Analysis Intended to Overcome the First Hurdle of Bail Lawsuits and Ameliorate the Unconscionable Price of a Perverted Justice System.
University of California Santa Cruz
- Bachelor of Arts in Sociology & Minor in Legal Studies, June 2012
- University Honors
Thesis: The Unintended Consequences of the War on Drugs: How Mandatory Minimum Sentencing Laws Disparately Impact Low Income Families and Exacerbate Cycles of Destitution.
University of California Merced
Studied Sociology of Incarceration, June 2008-2010
- Expert Speaker; Conference on Plea Bargaining, Bureau of Intl Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs (INL), U.S. Dept. of State, 2016 to 2017
- Moot court trial coach for Lincoln High School
- Nationally ranked top 10 under 40 by NACDA
- The Cost of Freedom: An Analysis Intended to Overcome the First Hurdle of Bail Lawsuits and Ameliorate the Unconscionable Price of a Perverted Justice System, University of San Francisco School of Law
- The Unintended Consequences of the War on Drugs: How Mandatory Minimum Sentencing Laws Disparately Impact Low Income Families and Exacerbate Cycles of Destitution, University of California, Santa Cruz
- California’s C.A.R.E. Act provides relief to those caught in a paper prison, ABA Journal, February 7, 2018
Senior Law Clerk, May 2014- 2017
- Appear and argue in court on behalf of clients
- Prepared trial brief and participated as second chair for Federal trial—charge: Illegal Alien in Possession of a Firearm, with immigration consequences
- Research and write motions such as: Motion in Limine, Motion to Disclose Confidential Informant, Motion to Suppress Evidence, Serna-Jones Motion [Denial of Sixth Amendment Speedy Trial Rights Due to Pre-Arrest delay], and State and Federal Sentencing Memorandum in Misdemeanor and Felony cases
- Interview clients during intakes, meetings, and jail visits; develop plea bargains; write interoffice case memorandum [which involves complex, legal research and analyzes: exposure, police reports, interrogations, DNA reports, blood alcohol content, blood splatter analysis, ballistic evidence, and defenses, across a broad range of Misdemeanor and Felony charges]
- Appear on matters for Drug, Veteran, Community Justice, State and Federal Court
Office of the Public Defender, San Francisco
Certified Law Clerk, September 2015- 2016
- Participated in highly publicized trial with Jeff Adachi, involving police brutality
- Appeared and argued in court on behalf of clients in the felony unit, Dept. 11
- Conducted preliminary hearing in auto-theft case
- Researched and wrote motions: 995, Sealed and Unsealed Pitchess, Confidential Informant, Bail/OR, Return of Property
- Conducted investigations including: video surveillance, jail call transcriptions, crime scene visits and photography, plea bargaining development, crafting subpoenas and detailed case memorandum [which involves complex, legal research and analysis regarding: exposure, police reports, interrogations, DNA reports, ballistic evidence, auto theft evidence, and defense formulation across a broad spectrum of felony charges]
- Conducted client interviews and correspond with investigators, government agencies, district attorneys, clients and their families
Bureau of International Narcotics & Law Enforcement Agency (INL), U.S. Embassy in Montenegro
International Plea Bargaining Expert Speaker, May 2015 & September 2016
- Participated and assisted in conducting First and Second Annual Conference on Expanded Use of Plea Bargaining; held in Budva, Montenegro
- Wrote fact pattern practical exercise and official INL report
Supreme Administrative Court of Czech Republic
International Law Clerk, June- August 2015
Law Offices of Russell Goodrow
Law Clerk, March 2015- April 2015
- Conducted complex research and motion work; wrote 30 page 1538.5 Motion to Suppress, with a Table of Contents, for a case with criminal charges relating to the cultivation, distribution, and sale of marijuana—it served the basis for a complex civil suit against a City in California
University of San Francisco School of Law’s Criminal and Juvenile Justice Clinic
Certified Law Student, January 2015- May 2015
- Appeared, negotiated, and argued on behalf of my clients
- Acquired new and continued adult and juvenile caseload, in the misdemeanor Department of the Hall of Justice, and California Youth Authority in San Francisco
- Conducted complex research and motion work with successful legal resolution for several matters
- Florida State Bar
- Minnesota Bar Association
- California State Bar
- Entertainment Industry Payroll Company, Entertainment Partners, Director
- The Los Angeles County Bar Association, Attorney Client Fee Dispute Services, Arbitrator
- Dan Murphy Foundation, Los Angeles, California, Trustee, 2009
- Loyola Marymount University’s Fine Arts Council, Member
- FINRA- NASDQ arbitration, Panel chair
SET UP A CONSULTATION TODAY
If you are under investigation or charged with a crime, I will consult with you in person and at no charge to you.